Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Still Life in 8 minutes

Tonight I saw a play that made me feel first, think later, and continuously reflect afterward. Right now, I am quickly reflecting. What struck me during this play at first was the relationship between Carrie Ann and Jeff, the spark. I connected it to myself now because when I was watching then draw into each other for the first time, I knew exactly how it felt. I almost felt as if I were having that first breathtaking kiss, or having those first moments in the apartment having charming flirty 'smart' discussions. I related to it because recently, I felt it.
The whole play was covered with death. I saw a dead bird on the road yesterday, gray and black with a yellow stripe down it's back. It was so beautiful and sad. And in the play, Carrie Ann's last exhibit was of dead animals. How morbid, right? But the way in which it drew Jeff into her was magnificent. He was shocked, intrigued, and inspired by her vision. And so began the moment when they each began to "save each other's lives".
I was also inspired by Carrie Ann, but more so by her entrance into the teaching world. She could not find the inspiration herself to take photographs after her father had died, but she knew she had something valuable to share with other people. This is where Halley's character, Jessie, comes into play. Jessie is a skittish, innocent, young photography student who knows nothing about the photography world, but knows how to shoot a great photo. Carrie Ann sees this and knows that she can be a guide for Jessie and help her reach her potential in the world of photography.
I saw a lot of myself in Carrie Ann, I don't know why. But the fears and the toughness and the love within her show me something of myself. And I realized that I get to know myself more and more as the years pass by. And in getting to know myself, I grow wiser.
But I'm not wise yet.

No comments: