Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Gentileschi to Boticelli

November 15, 1613


Dear Alessandro di Mariano di Vanni Filipepi,


Sandro, how are you? I just moved to Venice. I’m sorry I didn't send word sooner but, alas, I was in such a rush. Now that I live in Venice I will be able to visit your grave. You have have inspired me so much in my career. I wish I could have met you but I was born almost 90 years after you died.

Let me tell you about me because although I have heard of you, you most likely have not heard of me. Let me tell you a little about myself. I was born July 8th, 1593 to Prudentia Monotoni and Orazio Getileshi. My father took me on as something like an apprentice at a young age. He never meant for me to make a career as a painter though. He tried to get me to join a nunnery several times, but I always refused. I made my first work of art when I was 17. It was titled Susanna and The Elders. I just married a man named Pierantonio Stiattesi and moved to Venice with him.

At the moment I am very busy painting the story in the old testament, Judith and Holofernes, in which Judith kills the war Lord Holofernes in order to get revenge because he besieged her town. Many people paint different versions of it. As you may know some draw her holding the head in triumph, while others draw her preparing for the battle. One man drew the scene in which she slits his throat. That picture has inspired me to do the same and draw Holofernes getting beheaded. But when it was drawn by Caravaggio, Judith was rather reluctant looking to kill. In mine, I plan to make her look very determined for revenge. Eager for the kill. I hope to someday attended the Accademia del Disegno. Going there would give me the freedom to buy paints and other supplies without permission from my husband, travel alone, and sign contracts. If I could do that there would be no point in having a husband and I would most likely divorce him.

As you read my letter, you are most likely wondering why I moved to Venice so I shall tell you. I moved here because my father Orazio Gentileschi wanted me far away from my painting teacher and his business partner Agostino Tassi. Let me start from the beginning, I was at my painting classes with Tassi. He grabbed me and said “ Not so much painting, not so much painting.” It was the most terrifying moment of my life. I then had to go to court for seven months just to prove he was guilty. I will not go into much detail of the assault in this letter, but in court I had to recount every detail of the assault. They used this method called sibille where they tied ropes around my fingers and tightened it progressively. It is meant to divulge whether or not I was telling the truth. It was very painful, I was losing circulation. Finally he was proven guilty and sentenced to five years in prison, but when I left he hadn't even started his sentence. I'm afraid that he never will. If I had not proven him guilty my reputation would have been ruined and I would never have been able have a career as a painter. I might even have had to join a nunnery, imagine that!

Venice is absolutely beautiful. What was Florence like when you lived there? I hope to go to Florence some day. I wonder if it has changed since you lived there? I think that you would have liked my friend, Galileo. He has some very interesting views on the world. When I go to Florence I shall drop this letter off at your grave.

Sincerely,

Artemisia Gentileschi

No comments: