Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Vivaldi to Giotto

Wednesday, March 25, 1741
Dear Giotto di Bondone,

I have heard about your paintings in Florence. Maybe we could share life stories when I die! I send this letter to your grave. Although you are dead, we will remember you for your artwork. I am currently traveling to a foreign land. Venice is so very nice and the history is impeccable. We have canals of all shapes and sizes. We have glass blowing on the island of Murano. I hope to visit Florence one day.
I was born on March 4, 1678, in Venice during the final days of the Italian Renaissance. My father’s name was Giovanni Battista Vivaldi. My father was also a famous violinist. My father was my violin teacher and we would tour together in Venice. My mother’s name was Camilla Calicchio. I am also the oldest out of nine other siblings. When I was born, they knew right away that I had severe asthma, but that didn’t stop me from writing music. Music actually helped me breathe.
When I was older, I became an ordained priest in 1703. Red hair runs in our family. People called me the red priest because of my red hair. Sadly, because of my asthma, I was kicked out of the church. After being kicked out of the church, I started to work at a catholic orphanage for girls. I started composing music on my violin during my career at the orphanage. I have to say that most of my music was written for girls to play.

I have written 500 concertos. Concertos are long pieces of music with three movements. The first movement is fast, the second movement is slow and the third movement is even faster than the first. I have also written 46 operas. I even write music for the church. There are many other composers, but one you might have heard of is Bach. He has written many gavottes and minuettes. Bach is one of my #1 fans. He has even translated some of my songs to piano, harpsichord, and viola.
Although I consider myself famous for the Italian Renaissance, most people find me famous for the Baroque period. One song that you may have heard is called the Four Seasons. I have made lots of money. I also seem to have an internal infection that could kill me, but I am not worried about that. I am not married and I have no children. In fact, I have only been in one relationship. We broke up yesterday. I have moved to Vienna. I moved here to play for the emperor and he would pay me, but sadly, the emperor has died and now I have to sell my pieces for a sad price that is keeping me alive.
How is life in the grave? Are you resting in peace next to Galileo, Michelangelo, and Leonardo? One day, I mean when I am buried, I hope that we can meet up to talk face to face about more famous people stuff. Maybe you could teach me to paint! I will see you in heaven, hopefully.

Sincerely,
Antonio Vivaldi

No comments: