Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Art of Travel: On Anticipation

A month ago I wrote an entry about 'anticipation' because I felt as though it was a very heavy and real part of my mindset and my life at the time. Always thinking about traveling! Somehow, I have found a way to put aside my excitedness and just let the traveling come when it comes, and after achieving this i have now encountered a new book that has enlightened me on the topic.
The Art of Travel is not what I expected, partially because I didn't really expect anything in particular. The first chapter is about before traveling and his first section is titled "On Anticipation". How fitting and 'coincidental'! Just what I had been thinking and writing about recently. Well, what I gained from this section is this idea about why he thinks people want to travel, and what their mentality and psychological well-being has to do with it. Much of what he said might be true for some people, and some of what he said was true for me. First of all, he points out that many people find the inspiration to travel through pictures or images in literature or descriptions by friends. These second hand accounts are momentary and create a false and superficial image of the places (for the most part). While one could smile in awe at a beautiful picture of the beach and dipping palm trees, he argues that many people could not stare in awe at it for an extended period of time. I must argue this point, but agree with his next point. And this next point is what I have gained from his writings on anticipation. He argues that one may be able to sit and appreciate the beauty of a place when they arrive, but soon thereafter their thoughts begin to take over, their preoccupations, their worries, their normal self. He said the worst part about getting away is that you have to bring yourself.
Now, when I took a random trip to Aruba with Tina, I did not feel this way. In some instances, I was expecting that that trip was going to reveal something new to me about myself and my thoughts on life. Therefore, many times I was thinking about the past, home, and the future. But when I was on that beach, or I was in that ocean, or I was with my loving friends, I was happy and in the moment.
Mostly, his point was very good. We can escape our place at times, but we will never escape our lives. Because our lives are in our minds.
What I take from this is that I need to find myself here, there, and everywhere. I need to find joy wherever I am and never blame it on the place, the weather, the seasons. Because as he said, if one is truly joyful, the rain will never take that smile and warmth of heart away.

3/29/2010
I am now reading this entry about a month later and I feel as though I have new insights to bring to the topic. Yes, in Aruba I was expecting to see or find something that would perhaps give me an epiphany on my life. And this did not necessarily happen. In fact, it did not. Now, after going to Costa Rica for a week and a half this March, I have returned with a much different mentality. I have gained new insight from that trip, and it doesn't have to do entirely with the place or the people. Two major epiphanies were realized. One has to do with the way we live our lives: what we value, cherish, nurture. I value the people in my life, and I want to cherish and nurture them as well. New York recently has been a place where I feel as though I am ready to leave. Now I know why. Being in Montezuma in an atmosphere where people really know how to slow down and live life the way that they want to live has made me realize that I need to live life the way I want to live it. I DO live life the way I want to live it. But New York's culture and societal norms pull at me and make me feel dissatisfied and uneasy with my relaxed and happy lifestyle. I feel guilty or bad for slowing down, enjoying life, doing things that I want to do, and not joining the fast forward lifestyle that New Yorkers all share. But after going to Costa Rica and finding people I can relate to in this aspect, I realize I don't NEED to be in a place like that to LIVE like that. I want to find myself in a culture and society like that at some point, but I can live outside of that and still be myself and find myself happy with my choices even if they go against the norm.
Second epiphany: I was searching perhaps for answers about my love life and whatnot in Aruba. Now I know why I couldn't find the answers. I hadn't found my love life yet. Now I have. Now I know the questions, and I'm figuring out the answers. And this is such a serencifying feeling (bringing back the fictionary word Ali and I created 5 years ago). Carlin has brought into my life everything it was lacking and more. His love makes me feel at home, and he has my heart without owning it. If two souls live their lives searching for the other, mine has finally found her match. Good job, soul!

No comments: